We here at Taigan Expeditions are proud to participate in Kyrgyzstan’s ancient sporting traditions. Alongside newer sports like fly fishing, we will soon be offering traditional Kyrgyz hunting adventures, with bow, taigan hound, and eagle – yes, eagle. We would also like to take this opportunity to point out Taigan Expeditions holds itself to the highest standards of ethical and legal sport hunting and fishing, fully compliant with applicable Kyrgyz and international laws. Beyond that, however, we pride ourselves in being “conservation-minded” and consistently seek to make wise choices about our involvement with wildlife and the outdoors, not only for our sakes, but for the generations that may follow. Rest assured, when you book with us, you’re travelling with people who are every bit as passionate about the out-of-doors as you are!
Fishing Expedition for River Trout, with guided option available: (Summertime, roughly May to mid-October)
Itinerary: One of the most scenic rivers in Kyrgyzstan runs through the small, fairly remote, and in many ways unique, village of Kyzyl Oi. There, Taigan Expeditions works with a guest house which backs up to the river itself, affording the angler outstanding opportunities within short walking distances. If the angler would like to do so, horse treks up or down the river to other “fishing spots” and returning to Kyzyl Oi may be had at additional cost. Moreover, given that fishing is what Izaak Walton called “the contemplative man’s recreation,” our fishing expeditions are arranged and priced differently. They are less expensive, but do not include a Taigan Expeditions guide for the duration of the client’s travels as part of the price. However, if the client requires, a Taigan Expeditions guide may accompany the client at additional cost.
Proposed Schedule and details of what is included in quoted cost:
Total: 7 days and 6 nights in Kyrgyzstan; $1000 US Dollars per guest
Note: Prices are based on 1 traveler. There will be a discount for multiple guests, as the cost of vehicular travel and guide (if any) can be divided among the party. Please let us know how many travelers there are in your group. Also, any and all ‘expedition packages’ are merely suggestions of what is available in Kyrgyzstan, they can be customized in any number of ways.
Day 1: Arrive Bishkek in the early morning, met at airport by Taigan Expeditions staff. Travel to Kyzyl Oi by automobile. Be prepared for a long day of road travel. Lodge in guest house in Kyzyl Oi village that evening.
Days 2-5: Trout fishing on the river. Note luncheon meals will be packed by guest house owner, or may be purchased at local shops, at client’s discretion and expense. Evening meals will be back at the guest house.
Day 6: Return to Bishkek, lodge in Bishkek that evening.
Day 7: Taigan Expeditions staff takes client to airport, client returns to home country.
The expedition includes:
1. Lodging in Bishkek after the expedition; meals and other incidental expenses in Bishkek are not included.
2. Travel between Bishkek and the fishing region, including airport “pick-up”
3. Lodging and meals in Kyzyl Oi during the expedition (note: if client chooses to pack their own lunch, that expense is not included). Lodging will be “rustic” – no indoor plumbing available. Meals will be traditional Kyrgyz cuisine and predetermined by local hosts.
4. Kyrgyzstan fishing permit, where required.
The expedition does not include:
1. Travel to and from client’s home country, and any excess luggage fees.
2. Fishing tackle (except as noted below, under ‘Available at additional expense.’)
3. Alcoholic beverages (clients may provide their own at their own expense, but are requested to please be respectful of local customs regarding consumption, i.e. there is some alcohol consumption locally, but clients are requested to remain in control of themselves at all times, and to avoid intoxication.)
5. Insurance of any kind, medical or otherwise.
6. Visas or other legal documents needed to enter Kyrgyzstan (although we can provide an ‘invitation letter’ for clients at an additional fee, if required.) Most countries have a 60-day tourist stamp agreement with Kyrgyzstan. See Visa Policy for Kyrgyzstan for more information.
7. Meals and optional touring while in Bishkek.
8. Any other expenses of an incidental or personal nature, including telephone calls.
9. Taxidermy of any fishing trophies
10. Shipment of any trophies to client’s home country, and any import permits or other legal necessities by client’s home country.
Available at additional expense:
1. Fishing guide – $70 US per day in Kyzyl Oi, total $280 US during 7 day expedition.
2. Basic Fly Fishing instruction included with fishing guide, including use of fly fishing equipment – $100 US per day in Kyzyl Oi, total $400 US during 7 day expedition.
3. Horse trekking to additional fishing locations – $35 US per day ($50 US per day if accompanied by fishing guide), number of days to vary according to client’s requirement.
Deposits and refunds:
A non-refundable deposit of 25% via bank transfer is required at the time of booking an expedition, with the balance due no later than 30 days prior to scheduled arrival in Bishkek. If for any reason the client wishes to cancel their visit, after final payment is made, they will receive a refund less the non-refundable deposit.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided for the client, except at client’s discretion as noted above, featuring local cuisine with the specific menu selected by your hosts. If you have specific food concerns, e.g. an allergy, please let us know in advance and we can make appropriate arrangements as needed. Horse trekking will be gently paced and locally guided. If the client requests, a longer horse trek and overnight yurt stay may be combined with the fishing expedition at additional expense – please speak with us for options and details. Suggested packing lists and general descriptions of climate and terrain can be provided upon request.
Once again, please rest assured we will do everything in our power to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey for our clients. If you like what we do, tell your friends. If for some reason you don’t, then tell us – and we’ll do what we can to “make it right.”
Hunting Expeditions for Tien Shan Argali and Ibex
Itinerary: Some of the best hunting for Tien Shan Argali sheep in the Naryn region is in late October and early November. The following suggested itinerary can be scheduled for any time the client wishes during the legal hunting season, late August through November.
Tien Shan Argali: 10 days in the field hunting in Naryn region, 15 days total in Kyrgyzstan.
Tien Shan Argali cost per hunter: $23,500 – $26,500 US Dollars (depending on region and availability of tags)
Ibex: 7 days in the field hunting in Naryn region, 12 days total in Kyrgyzstan.
Ibex cost per hunter: $6,000 – $9,000 US Dollars (depending on region and availability of tags)
Both Tien Shan Argali and Ibex: 15 day total tour, 10 days hunting with paperwork allowing for 1 trophy of each animal.
Tien Shan Argali and Ibex combination cost per hunter: $27,500 – $30,000 US Dollars (depending on region and availability of tags)
Cost per additional, non-hunting visitor: $1500 – $2,200 US Dollars (depending on region we are traveling to)
– Prices are based on 1 traveler. There will be a discount for hunting groups with multiple clients; please speak with us for details.
Proposed schedule and details of what is included in quoted cost:
Day 1: Arrive Bishkek in the early morning, met at airport by Taigan Expeditions staff. Travel to hunting region by 4×4 vehicle. Be prepared for a long day of road travel, stay in the city of Naryn that evening.
Day 2: Arrive at hunting base. Rest with rifle “sighting-in” and practice firing. If client is unaccustomed to horse travel, or if they simply request it, client may also have short (about 1 hour) horseback ride.
Day 3-9 for Ibex, 3-12 for Tien Shan Argali: Hunting in the mountains of southeastern Kyrgyzstan
Day 10 for Ibex, 13 for Tien Shan Argali: Return to Bishkek, lodging in Bishkek that evening
Day 11 for Ibex, 14 for Tien Shan Argali: Ensure trophy is prepared for travel and any other travel preparations for client’s return to home country, tour Bishkek if requested (Bishkek tour expenses are minimal but not included in hunt package.) Lodging in Bishkek that evening.
Day 12 for Ibex, 15 for Tien Shan Argali: Taigan Expeditions staff take client to airport, client returns to home country.
The hunting tour (or “the hunt”) includes:
- Lodging in Bishkek before and after the hunt, meals in Bishkek and any other Bishkek incidental expenses not included.
- Travel between Bishkek and the hunting area, including “airport pick-up.”
- Lodging and meals in the hunting area during the hunt; note meals will be traditional Kyrgyz cuisine and predetermined by local hosts. Lodging will be “rustic” – there may not be indoor plumbing available, and probably no cellular telephone coverage.
- Kyrgyzstan hunting permits, firearm permits, border area permits, any applicable state fees, veterinary certificates, and trophy export permits.
- Hunting guide and translation services for hunter(s) while hunting and during travel to and from the hunting area.
- Transport during the hunt – possibly by 4×4 vehicle but most likely by horseback or on foot, due to local terrain.
- Trophy care and packing for shipment.
The hunt does not include:
- Travel to and from home country, or excess luggage fees.
- Firearm & ammunition.
- Alcoholic beverages (clients may provide their own at their own expense, but are requested to please be respectful of local customs regarding consumption. ie. there is some alcohol consumption locally, but you should still be in control of yourself and stop before you are intoxicated.)
- Any kind of insurance, medical or otherwise.
- Visas or other legal documents needed to enter Kyrgyzstan (although we can provide an “Invitation Letter” for clients at an additional fee, if required.) Most countries have a free 60 day tourist stamp agreement with Kyrgyzstan. See the Visa policy of Kyrgyzstan.
- Meals and optional touring while in Bishkek.
- Taxidermy of any trophies.
- Any other expenses of an incidental or personal nature, including telephone calls.
- Shipment of trophy to client’s home country, and any import permits or other legal necessities by client’s home country.
Deposits and refunds:
A non-refundable deposit of 25% via bank transfer (we do not accept credit cards at this time) is required at the time of booking the hunt, with the balance due no later than 30 days prior to the scheduled arrival in Bishkek. If for any reason the client wishes to cancel their hunt, after final payment is made, they will receive a refund less the non-refundable deposit.
All hunters and non-hunting visitors should remember these hunts are some of the most challenging in the world, so please be prepared for a demanding high alpine environment. Suggested packing lists and general descriptions of climate and terrain can be provided upon request. Hunting method will be “spot and stalk.” Firearms and ammunition selection are the responsibility of the client, but we recommend a rifle in the .30 range which the client is very accustomed to using, and please be advised distances for a successful shot can be up to about 550 meters. While we will make every effort to locate quality trophy possibilities for our clients, as in all ethical sport hunting, success cannot be guaranteed.
Lastly, please rest assured we will do everything in our power to ensure an ethical, successful, and enjoyable hunt for our clients. If you like what we do, tell your friends. If for some reason you don’t, then tell us – and we’ll do what we can to “make it right.”
Stay tuned to this page for further opportunities in Central Asian traditional-style hunts, wolf hunts, white-water rafting, and upland game bird wingshooting, coming soon courtesy of Taigan Expeditions! As always, if you don’t see what you’re interested in, just ask, we can customize a package for you.